Location: Cavendish Transfer Station is located at 354 Route 131.
Hours of Operation: Wednesday and Saturday 8-5, Sunday 10-2
Contact: Howard Merritt or Norma Randall 226-7743
Operates on a coupon system-75¢ for one kitchen bag; $1.50 for 30 gallon bag
Coupons available at: Cavendish Town Office; Bennett’s Store, Singleton’s Store, William’s Store
Car Sticker: Current transfer station stickers must be on the inside lower right-hand corner of the windshield.
Free of Charge
• Untreated Wood Waste
• Scrap metal
• Rechargeable Batteries
• Used Oil (in one gallon jugs)
• Steel cans
• Propane Tanks
• Uncoated Natural Wood Pallets
• Aluminum Cans, Foil and Container
• Fluorescent light bulbs
• Thermostats with Mercury
• Reusable items in good condition
•Textiles (see below)
Textile Shed: Benefits Southeastern Vermont Community Action (SEVCA). Bag
• Clean and dry clothing (all types, including ripped, stained)
• Shoes: Bagged separately from clothing
• Clean and dry linens (blankets, sheets, towels, curtains
• Belts, purses, hats, mittens, gloves, coats, socks
• Stuffed animals
Burn Pile (Free)
• Tree and shrubbery slash (no logs or stumps)
• Unpainted, unstained, un treated wooden construction/demolition debris.
• Natural Christmas trees, wreaths, garlands. These items must be stripped of tinsel and all decorations.
The Cavendish Recycling Center also takes:
• Refrigerators, air conditioners, dehumidifiers, freezers-fee for Freon removal
• Tires: Fee depending on size and rim
• Construction and Demolition, Gypsum, land-clearing debris,
• Salvage/Used Material: $40/cubic yard. Must be generated within the town of Cavendish.
Local Opportunities for Recycling
• Button Battery Rite Aid Pharmacy in Ludlow
• Fluorescent bulbs: Bibens Home Center in North Springfield 886-2288
• Used Materials: Vermont Business Materials Exchange (VBMX)
• Plastics # 1 and 2 (milk and water jugs, white and colored jugs (detergent, bleach), soda bottles, some juice, peanut butter and vegetable oil containers: Springfield Transfer Station
• Mixed Paper-Almost anything, no plastic wrappers, waxy soap or frozen food containers, milk or juice cartons, tissue paper, wrapping paper or paper towels. Springfield Transfer Station
• Corrugated Cardboard and Boxboard: Springfield Transfer Station
• Eyeglasses and Hearing Aids: Collection boxes for Springfield Lions Club, Senior Center in Springfield, Springfield Post Office, Dr. Duff’s office, Dr. Lane’s office, Lawrence and Wheeler
• Clothing: Black River Good Neighbor in Ludlow.
• Electronics: WinCycle, 28 River Street, Windsor 674-6320
• Cell Phones/Printer Cartridges: Cavendish Elementary School 226-7758
Household Hazardous Waste
Date: Second Saturday in May, Second Saturday in September
Location: Transfer Stations other than Cavendish
• What to bring: Most substances with labels that say: Caustic, Toxic, Corrosive, Poison, Flammable, Warning
• From the Garden/Yard/House: insecticides, herbicides, chemical fertilizers, rodent killer, metal polish, pool chemicals, photography chemicals, flea powder, no-pest strips, toilet & drain cleaner, oven cleaner, mothballs, lighter fluid, bathroom cleaners, chemistry sets, arts & crafts supplies, bleaches, mercury thermometers & thermostats, rug cleaner
• From the Garage/Workbench: antifreeze, brake fluid, gasoline, transmission fluid, engine & radiator flusher, engine degreaser, carburetor cleaner, gas treatments, Xenon halogen headlight bulbs (blue-tinted), plastic fuel filters, rust proofers, wood preservatives, sealants, solvents, creosote, roofing tar, driveway sealer, muriatic acid, varnish, paint thinner, wood strippers and stains, lead- and oil-based paints. Properly drained metal fuel filters can be recycled with scrap metal.
• DO NOT bring latex paint, dry creosote, batteries, used motor oil, asbestos, radioactive material, empty containers, fireworks, tires, fluorescent bulbs or tubes, medical waste, or ammunition.
For more information about the Cavendish Transfer Station, including special waste disposal fees, please contact the Town Office 226-7292