Sunday, November 13, 2011

CTES Minutes 10/18/11 and Agenda 11/15/11

Cavendish Town Elementary School Board Meeting
Tuesday, October 18, 2011 5:30 p.m.

Board: Dr. Bont, Jim Ballantine, Sharon Huntley and Peter Gregg
Administration: George Thomson-Principal and David Adams-Superintendent
Public: LPCTV, Virginia Walsh Mack-Recording Secretary and Connie Kendall

Call to orderDr. Bont called the meeting to order at 5:35 p.m.

Comments from the Community: None

Approval of Minutes of September 20, 2011
Peter made a motion to approve the minutes of September 20, 2011 as presented. Sharon seconded. Motion approved. Jim abstained.

Director of Building, Grounds & Plant Maintenance Resignation: George informed the board he received a letter from Tim Lee announcing his resignation; he is retiring. The board approved the resignation. George said the position has been advertised and interviews have taken place. Jim said he would like to be involved. George said he will give Jim an update.

Non Certified Staff Hiring:
David informed the board of Act 153 and the superintendent’s authority to hire non licensed personnel. David has hired Lorraine Reef as a Para professional on George’s recommendation.

Curriculum Update
David said Linda will update the board on the curriculum work that is taking place in the S.U. and to talk about the test scores at the next meeting. Linda and the teachers have worked to develop a Scope and Sequence of what is expected and taught at a particular grade level. Discussion ensued regarding curriculum, the transition from 6th to 7th grade, college readiness and success.

Joint Supervisory Update
David reported on the joint S.U. meeting held last week. The idea of combining the two S.U.s and what methodology should be used for assessment was discussed. It was agreed to by both boards to use the equalized pupil count for regular education expenditures and child count for special education expenditures. Tomorrow night at 6:00 p.m. at CTES there is another planning meeting to look at what the makeup of the central office would look like in the new S.U. There will be a meeting in December to decide if the study will be presented to the state board of education.

David said currently the policies for GMUHS and CAES do not allow children of CTES employees to attend either of those schools. Discussion: GMUHS already allows employee’s of GMUHS and CAES to attend GMUHS. The policy is not reciprocal; CAES does not allow GMUHS employee’s students to attend CAES. The school would not be responsible for transportation for the students. David will express the interest to CAES and GMUHS. Sharon made a motion to have David peruse the topic of allowing employee’s students to attend any of the schools. Peter seconded. Motion approved 3:1.

Principal’s Report
George gave the board a copy of the budget summary. He said he will answer any questions from the board. There is nothing out of line.

The annual audit is scheduled for Monday, October 24th; the art club, reading club, band, chorus and the banking club have started; the NECAP assessments are taking place this month; David Leiban is working with teachers on reading and literacy; he is a Language Arts professional.

George shared the bus route with the board. The route takes about 1hour 5 minutes. The longest a student is on the bus is 55 minutes. The route has been sent to parents.

Sharon mentioned there is no Halloween Party scheduled at the Proctorsville Fire Station and the decorations will have to be relocated due to a renovation. Sharon asked for volunteers to come and help organize relocating the party or having something at the school.

Superintendent Report
David said when bussing was restored he sent a letter home to parents. He wanted to thank everyone for the work that they have done. He asked for understanding from parents as some changes may continue to take place.
he state board of education had a meeting at GMUHS. Ann Thomson was recognized by the board for receiving the Presidential Award in Science.

CTES is hosting an administrative meeting tomorrow and the principals will discuss the possibility of a joint S.U. David will be attending the Superintendent’s Association meeting at Lake Morey on Thursday and Friday.

Other Business
George said he can’t reach the person regarding the roof; he is not returning phone calls. HP Cummings said they will get involved. David said they can write a letter. David will report back at the next meeting. Peter said there is no vent in the kitchen bathroom. David said he will look into it and report back.

Some of the equipment from the school is still being located. If someone discovers they have something from the school it would be greatly appreciated if it is returned.

Executive Session
Jim made a motion to go into executive session at 6:46 p.m. to discuss negotiations. Sharon seconded. Motion approved. David and George were invited.

The board came out of executive session at 7:37 p.m. No action taken.

Adjournment Peter made a motion to adjourn. Jim seconded. Meeting adjourned at 7:37 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Virginia M. Walsh Mack
Recording Secretary

Cavendish Town Elementary School Board Meeting
Tuesday, November 15, 2011 5:30 p.m.


1. Call to order

2. Comments from the Community

3. Approval of Minutes of October 18, 2011

4. Personnel
a.) Non Certified Staff Hiring – (Informational)

5. Finance
a.) Budget Development Update

6. Joint Supervisory Union Merger/Consolidation Update

7. Policies
a.) Enrollment of Children of Non Resident Teachers F:14 – (Discussion)

8. Principal’s Report

9. Superintendent Report

10. Other Business

11. Executive Session – (Negotiations)

12. Adjournment

No comments: