Please note the following:
• Today, 1/3/14 is a “snow day”-no school-for Cavendish and GMUHS.
• A Wind Chill Advisory is in effect until 4 pm today. Wind chill readings could be as low as 29 below due to temperatures ranging from 0-16 with north winds 10 to 15 MPH. To avoid frostbite and hypothermia: when outdoors, dress in layers and avoid exposing skin by wearing hat, gloves, scarves and face masks.
Information can also be posted on the Cavendish VT Facebook Page.
1. Cavendish Related News
3. Ski/Ride Volunteers Needed for CTES Snow Sports Program
4. Immediate Job Opening
1. CAVENDISH RELATED NEWS
GMP Customers to Pay Storm Damage Surcharge: Just ten days ago Green Mountain Power said it would not be raising electric rates for the next two years. But now the utility has informed customers it will be adding a storm surcharge of $1.53 to bills beginning next month. The company says it needs the extra money to offset the cost of four major storms in 2013. The good news is there are other costs that fluctuate, so for the first quarter of next year GMP bills will have a power supply adjustment credit that will pretty much offset the storm surcharge. WCAX
VT Minimum Wage to Increase 13 cents on January 1: The state’s minimum wage increases to $8.73 per hour starting Jan.1. The minimum wage for workers who are tipped will increase by 6 cents to $4.23 an hour. The national minimum wage is $7.25 per hour. WPTZ
• GMUHS Director-Term one year
3. SKI/RIDE VOLUNTEERS NEEDED FOR CTES SNOW SPORTS PROGRAM
Volunteers are needed for the Cavendish Elementary School’s Tuesday afternoon Snow Sports program, which begins on Tuesday, Jan. 7 All volunteers receive a free day pass for each day they volunteer, plus they ski/ride for free the day they volunteer. If interested, call Jarrod at 802-228-7925 and contact Karen McNamara at CTES (226-7758) as soon as possible to complete paperwork and background check.
The Golden Stage Inn has an immediate job opening for a housekeeper. FMI: 226-7744.
This week, the following activities will be taking place in Cavendish:
• Get Ready for Downton Abbey Season Four: January 4 (Saturday) The Cavendish Library will be hosting an afternoon of food inspired by the hit show and will be showing the final episode of season 3 starting at 2 pm. FMI: 226-7503
• Select Board Budget Meetings: January 6 (Monday) and 8 (Wednesday) FMI: 226-7292
• Planning Commission Meeting: January 8 (Wednesday) 6:30 pm at the Town Office. FMI: 226-7292
• Okemo Valley Regional Chamber Mixer: January 8 (Wednesday) at the Inn Victoria in Chester from 5:30 pm to 7:30 pm. FMI: 802-875-4288
To learn more about upcoming events in Cavendish and surrounding towns go to: