Thursday, July 26, 2012


As we approach the first anniversary of tropical storm Irene, the following information is being provided to help those people in Cavendish who are still dealing with recovery from Tropical Storm Irene. As information is changed, this will be posted at Check the upper right hand link section. If you have information to add or correct to this handout, please e-mail or call 226-7807.


• The Cavendish Flood Relief Fund has distributed all of their funds.

• Money from I am Vermont Strong, United Way and other statewide fundraising groups is being administered through the Precision Valley Disaster Recovery Committee (802-855-8862, via Black River Good Neighbors and SEVCA case managers. To receive these funds, you will need to go through one of the case managers at either organization and will be required to complete an application for these funds.

Black River Good Neighbors: The following services are available to Cavendish residents who qualify:

• Food shelf (including distribution of USDA’s TEFA 40 lb food program twice a month);

• Financial Assistance (will provide aid up to a set maximum including cash and/or in kind aid per year per family/household to cover assistance with heating, rent, utilities. BRGNS does not provide assistance for phone, cable or satellite, TV bills

• Used Furniture Store (open on Saturdays from 10-4 or by appointment)

• Thrift Shop 37 B Main Street (behind the armory building now known as the Ludlow Community Center)

Contact: 228-3663

Southeastern Vermont Community Action (SEVCA): The following services are available to Cavendish residents who qualify:

• Family Services/Crisis Intervention

• Head Start

• Home Repair

• Economic Development

• Good Buy Thrift Stores/Textile Recycling

• Weatherization

Contact: 800-464-9951 or 802-722-4575 Office is in Springfield

Health Services: It is not uncommon for people who have gone through an event like Irene to have a variety of health issues in the subsequent year. Getting What You Need: A checklist for those living with a chronic condition; caregivers and/or seniors Cavendish edition can help you locate the resources you may need. If you are having issues paying your medical bills, or are not going for care because of financial concerns, be aware that the Ludlow Health Center is a federally qualified health center. As such Care will be provided to all, regardless of ability to pay. Financial assistance is available to those who are income-eligible and fees are charged in accordance with a sliding fee discount policy based on family size and income.

Churches: Cavendish has five churches, a number of which can and do provide help when it is needed.

Calvary Assembly of God 226-7607, Rt 131 Proctorsville

Cavendish Baptist Church 226-7131 2258 Main St. Cavendish

Gethsemane Episcopal 226-7967 Depot St. Proctorsville

Holy Name of Mary Catholic 228-3451 Main St. Proctorsville

St. James United Methodist 226-7819 570 Main St Proctorsville


Vermont Strong Resource Directory

211: The state’s 211 information number is a good place to call for information. This is a free service, available 24/7 by calling 211 (similar to how you use 911 and 411). When you call, you will reach a person who can help identify the most appropriate resources for you.

VT Response Exchange: This site provides a basic mechanism for those affected by the Irene floods to connect with people looking to donate items. Think of it as Craigslist for disasters. It’s still up and running, though not used as frequently as it once was.

Starting Over Strong (SOS): Provides short-term interventions promoting recovery and education; development to mitigate stress and build coping strategies; and identification and referral if needed for more intensive supports. Team leader for Windsor County


• Cavendish Town Office 226-7292 Office open Monday through Friday 9-noon and 1-4:30 pm. Wednesday until 6 pm. Office closed for major holidays. Town Manager’s Office 226-7291. Town Office Fax 226-7290

Cavendish Transfer Station 226-7743

Cavendish Community Library 226-7503

For fire, rescue and emergency 911


Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA): If you have received money from FEMA you need to use the money according to instructions given by them. Recipients of these funds should always keep the receipts for three years. Random audits may be made to confirm funds were spent properly. Phone: (800) 621-FEMA (3362)

Financial Planning Association of Northern New England : Providing pro bono (free) financial planning services for those affected by Irene. 603-228-1231,

No comments: